Sunday, April 17, 2016

A trip to China

I have recently joined in Irreversible Moi's Amazing Race art journal challenge over on Facebook-and I have found it is a great way to stretch my creative legs.  There will be several stops long the way as well as a few detours thrown in.  We began our journey in China and while I always enjoy seeing Chinese art in museums, I never thought about using it for inspiration.

My first page I used some of my favorite symbols from Chinese art, Koi and cherry blossoms, I wanted to make it look a little more antiqued so I did a tinted gesso wash on the background.  And while I have discovered I need a lot of help with my kanji-I am very happy with the overall results





Our first detour also came in China, the detour was either draw a dragon and use it in an art journal spread, or try your hand at Chinese kanji.  Since I am lacking drawing skills I decided to try Kanji.
I covered the entire background of the page with kanji before turning right around and covering it up again, but some still shows through the edges.



Again, there are a few changes I could have made-the branch for my bottom bird disappeared into the background so he looks like he is just hanging out-and the phrase on the right should have been centered a bit more-but overall I had a great time creating this!



Please stop by and join us for the challenge-a lot of great ladies and beautiful art!  Next stop France!

No comments:

Post a Comment