Sunday, August 3, 2014

Through fire

I've always been a huge fan of Harry Potter, I listen to the audio books at work quite often, a great way to pass the time and I can easily jump back in if I miss anything.  The other day I was listening to Chamber of Secrets and there was a quote that struck me particularly hard:

"It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities"~Albus Dumbledore

I've always found that quote inspiring, and I thought it would be perfect for a bit of inspiration for my room.  For those not familiar with the series, Dumbledore has a pet phoenix, a mythical creature that burst into flames when it is time to die and they are reborn from the ashes.  Once I had a starting point the rest came fairly easily.


I started by making a phoenix out of white polymer clay and painting it with acrylic paints.  I really wanted him to shimmer so I used my stash of radiant pearl paints to give him some sparkle.  Because  radiant pearls don't dry on non porous surfaces I embossed it with clear embossing powder.


The background was a lot of fun to work with, I used pages from an old copy of  Deathly Hallows adhered down with mod podge, On top of that I used modeling paste and a prima mask to give it a bit of texture.  I added some upholstery underlining spritzed with Lindy's and Dylusions, however in my hurry to dry it I found it melts with a heat gun.  And I loved it, so once I had it adhered down I zapped it with my heat tool.



Overall I'm thrilled with how this turned out and it is perfect for the Potter nerd in me!


No comments:

Post a Comment