Wednesday, October 8, 2014

In the fall

"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall"~ F Scott Fitzgerald

I'm not one to spend much time reading magazines, but I was flipping through a copy of Glamour at the hospital last week and I came across this quote from F Scott Fitzgerald, and I fell in love with it.  There wasn't much that was able to take my mind off of where we were, so I spent time imagining how I would use this quote.  I tried envisioning on layouts, or maybe a card, but in the end I decided on a spread in my art journal. I have to admit I'm addicted!


The background was covered in distress stains in various colors and then misted with a combination of sprays, mainly Lindy's Stamp Gang.  

Before I created the background layer though, I adhered a few skeleton leaves down using mod podge and gave the whole substrate two coats of gesso.  I also stamped the text in black archival ink before colors were layered on.  I'm not a huge fan of how the stamping turned out, I think I'd have rather used torn pages from a book.  

I used a Dylusions mask and some homemade modeling paste to create the vines and then colored over them with Lindy's Magicals, Distress Markets and Luminart paints.  The skeleton leaves also had some layers of magicals and luminart added for some shimmer.


The leaf is a leftover from the wreath I made, I had a big empty spot and thought it might fill the space nicely.  Before I adhered the leaf down I stamped with a piece of craft foam that had been heated and pressed into a leaf embossing folder.  I stamped with distress ink and clear embossed it for texture.  Once the leaf was adhered down with soft gel I went around the edges with Inkagold in bronze.

Here is the full spread again, I just love how turned out, even with the stamping! 



Keep an eye out for two new journal pages coming up over the next week-until then thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment